Rowan Gillespie’s statue of WB Yeats stands outside the Ulster Bank at Hyde Bridge in the centre of town.
Pollexfen House – on the corner of Wine Street was the headquarters of the Sligo Steamship Company, owned by William Pollexfen, WB’s grandfather.
Sligo Abbey, Abbey Street, is a 13th century abbey, now in ruins. One of WB Yeats most famous short stories, The Curse of the Fire and the Shadows, was based on a true event that took place in Sligo Abbey in 1642, when the Abbey was destroyed.Visit Sligo Abbey for more details.
St John’s Cathedral, John Street, is the burial place of WB Yeats’ brother Robert, who died in Sligo, aged 3. It also houses the graves of Yeats’ maternal grandparents, William and Elizabeth Pollexfen. His parents, John and Susan were married in the Cathedral in 1863. Visit St John’s Cathedral for more details.
The Model houses contemporary art, including a collection of Jack B Yeats work. Jack was WB Yeats younger brother and a very well established artist.
Try Sligo Food Trail for cafés, bars and restaurants in Sligo.